As we approach spring in Melbourne, now is a great time to start planning your summer garden and outdoor living spaces. Using a combination of outdoor floor tiles and outdoor wall tiles, you can easily compliment your garden’s design while also creating zones and decorative features for the perfect look this summer. Outdoor tiling solutions are available in a vast range of styles and materials, each offering its own range of benefits to your design scheme.
Types of Outdoor Tiles
Outdoor tiles are available in a range of different materials, shapes and sizes, allowing you to experiment with a range of options in your landscape design. Options for outdoor tiling include:
- Porcelain Tiles: Porcelain tiles for outdoor areas are one of the most popular options. These tiles are fired at extremely high temperatures, resulting in an incredibly hard, dense and durable tile. Porcelain tiles are non-porous and as such, will not require sealing, ensuring a low maintenance outdoor tiling solution. Outdoor porcelain tiles will feature a roughly textured finish that creates a non-slip surface, perfect for outdoor use.
- Terracotta Tiles: A timeless choice, terracotta tiles create a warm, rich and rustic look in outdoor applications. It is important to note that an un-glazed terracotta tiles will require sealing in order to be best protected against marking or staining however, glazed terracotta tiles will not require sealing as the hardened glaze acts as a protective barrier.
- Terrazzo Tiles: Another classic choice for use in outdoor areas, some varieties of terrazzo tiles can be used in outdoor areas to create a lush, patterned look. These tiles are made up of a scattering of natural stone chips that are embedded in a concrete tile. Terrazzo tiles are available in an endless selection of colours with an option to suit any style of design.
- Natural Stone Tiles: Natural stone tiles have been used in outdoor areas since ancient times, offering a timeless and sophisticated aesthetic. Options available in natural stone tiles for outdoor areas include: marble, limestone, travertine tiles and plenty more!
- Concrete Tiles: Concrete tiles (also referred to as cement tiles or encaustic tiles) can often be used in outdoor spaces, especially in covered outdoor areas. These tiles can be sourced in a wide variety of options to suit a range of different design styles, from classic to contemporary.
Outdoor Tiling: Selecting Outdoor Floor Tiles
Outdoor floor tiles provide the perfect solution to creating and defining zones in your design scheme. From large concrete pavers, crazy paver tiles, timber look tiles and porcelain tiles, there are many exciting options available that will effortlessly complement your outdoor design scheme. One of the most popular outdoor floor tile solutions is the classic porcelain tile; you will find many porcelain options in our collection that are specifically designed for outdoor applications. These tiles will feature a textured ‘grip’ surface finish that is ideal for outdoor use, providing anti-slip properties.
The Legno collection offers a unique timber look porcelain tile solution that is suitable for use in outdoor areas. These tiles can be used as a stunning alternative solution to timber decking, providing a low maintenance option that will not require regular sanding or sealing.
Porcelain tiles provide a range of benefits in outdoor applications in comparison to many other solutions as they are incredibly hard wearing, durable and offer a low maintenance solution thanks to their non-porous nature. These tiles will not require sealing and are resistant to moisture, heat, scratching and staining, making them an excellent choice for use in outdoor areas.
Outdoor Tiling: Selecting Outdoor Wall Tiles
Outdoor wall tiles will provide two functions in your garden design scheme: these tiles will offer a decorative touch to the environment and can also be used to add a protective layer over certain outdoor walls (facades, garden walls, retaining walls, etc.). Similar to outdoor floor tiles, you will once again find a large range of luxurious options available to choose from including encaustic tiles, terracotta tiles, glass tiles, porcelain tiles and more. It is important to note that although there are many outdoor wall tile options that are suitable for use in completely exposed applications, certain materials are best used in covered outdoor areas so as to minimise their exposure to harsh sunlight and the elements. Encaustic (also referred to as cement tiles or concrete tiles) for example, are often best used in covered outdoor spaces while porcelain or glass tiles will usually offer more freedom in their applications with many options that are suitable for use in completely exposed areas as well as in outdoor pools.
Our Bata subway tiles can be used as a decorative feature on the facades of your property, providing a luscious, earthy cladding option. These tiles may also be used as an outdoor floor tile solution in covered areas such as the patio for example to add a rustic touch to your outdoor design scheme.
Creating your Summer Garden
What is a summer garden without a selection of beautiful plants? Research which plants are best suited for your home’s particular climate and location to start creating the perfect look. Ideally, some plants should be included that will provide a form of shade to your outdoor area, creating a comfortable environment for the summer months. Edible plants are also an excellent addition to any garden: think fruit trees and veggie patches or kitchen herb gardens. And finally, include a selection of decorative plants such as flowers to create a sense of character and add earthy pops of colour in your outdoor design scheme. Your local garden centre will be able to best advise on the most suitable plants and flowers for your climate, needs and budget and also offer guidance on the ideal times to plant your selections for best results.
Your selected greenery can be used to provide shade and privacy to your interior spaces while also adding a delightful and soothing earthy touch to your home’s overall decorating scheme. Our Omnia recycled glass tiles are used in this space to effortlessly complement the lush greenery without distracting from nature’s beauty.
Using a selection of outdoor floor and outdoor wall tiles, you can create the perfect outdoor design scheme, ready for summer! Our Richmond tiles store houses an immense collection of exciting designer tile options and our staff can guide you through the selection process to ensure the perfect fit for your project – Visit us or shop for tiles online here!