The bathroom is one room of the house where you and your family spend a considerable amount of time. Renovating the bathroom can give the home a refreshing update, and if you are planning to sell your home soon, it can represent a significant investment. Choosing the right tiles can make or break a bathroom design. Here are a few tips to help you make a choice that you will love now and many years down the road.
Types of Tiles
First, let’s look at a few of the popular tile types that many homeowners choose.
- Ceramic Tiles – Ceramic is the most popular type of bathroom tile. It is relatively inexpensive, and it comes in a wide range of colours, sizes, finishes, textures, and patterns.
- Vinyl Tiles – Vinyl tiles are durable, inexpensive, and easy to install.
- Stone tiles – Stone tiles have a natural, organic feel that gives the bathroom a high-end look. They are durable, but they do require some ongoing maintenance.
- Marble tile – Marble gives the bathroom an elegant, classic look, can be costly. You also have to be careful with scratches and stains.
- Glass tiles – Glass tiles reflect the light and can make the room look more spacious. They come in many different colours, and they are resistant to stains and mildew.
- Cement-bodied tile – This choice in tile gives the room an industrial, modern look. We recommend cement tiles or encaustic tiles be sealed.
- Porcelain tiles – Porcelain is more durable and scratch-resistant than ceramic. They also come in many colour options, including some that simulate other materials.
These are only a few of the options available. The cost of tiles can significantly impact bathroom renovation cost. You must consider the pros and cons of each choice, as well as your budget.
Choosing the Right Tiles
With so many excellent options, it can be difficult to know which ones to choose. One of the first considerations should be the architectural style of your home. You want something that complements the overall style, whether it is historical or ultra-modern. Otherwise, the bathroom will look out of place.
Secondly, consider how often you like to change your décor and colour scheme. Some people will choose something and be happy with the decision for several decades. Other people change their minds with the seasons. If you are in the second category, neutral colours might be your best choice. However, if you seldom change your mind, go ahead and go for that pop colour.
If your bathroom has a particularly beautiful feature, think about highlighting it with accent tiles or a feature wall. You can also choose some of the beautiful mosaics that are available online and at your local home improvement store.
Size and Grout
Larger tiles can make a smaller bathroom look bigger. Lighter shades also tend to make the space look larger by reflecting the light and taking advantage of natural light. Sometimes mixing sizes and using feature tiles of a different size or to create an accent wall that will give the room a custom look.
When it comes to grout, white is the first choice that many people think of first, but it can quickly become discoloured and stained. Also, contrasting grout can make the room look busy. Matching tile and grout can give it a more uniform, clean look. Choosing a lighter tone, such as neutral grey or sand, will stand out less, and it will make cleaning easier.
Where to Find Ideas
The Internet is an excellent place to search for design inspiration and ideas. You can also use it to find the best tilers near you. It might be tempting to do it yourself, but tiling is a job that requires experience and specialized equipment. If you want it done right, it is best to hire an experienced professional.